Video is one of the most powerful marketing tools available to us. You’d be hard pressed to find a better medium that increases engagement, build brand awareness, and establishes your authority all at the same time! You may be shocked to learn that among the many positive things video can do for you, it can also improve your site’s SEO. Yes—professionally produced videos will increase your site’s SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization and has become a buzz word amongst marketers, business owners, and bloggers. In a nutshell, properly executed SEO allows you to show up organically in search engine results.
The primary goal of every search engine is to provide the best results to a search query. To do that, a decision has to be made on how relevant a page is to the question being asked. Search engines like google use a variety of information to make this determination. One method is to use bots to crawl pages for relevant information.
The more optimized your page is, the more information the search engine can use to determine your page’s “ranking.” Most people refer to the basics when it comes to SEO, like the title, URL, and using searchable keywords. But how can video help with this?
Video Signals to Google That There is Quality Content On Your Page
Video takes more time and effort to create than most other mediums—and people love it! By 2021, 82% of all consumer Internet traffic will be coming from videos (Cisco). If google scrolls through your page and notices a video on it, it is more likely to put it higher in the ranks. In fact, having video on your site makes it 53% more likely to show up on page 1 of Google.
Video Boosts Traffic to Your Site
Search engines use the traffic stats of a site as another way to determine its relevancy. How many people visit and how long they stay is a good indication of how valuable the site is. Viewers are more likely to click onto your page from the site you hosted the video on, like YouTube, for example. It will also encourage people to stay on the page longer since they are watching as opposed to reading. Due to this, companies utilizing video content experience a 41 percent increase in traffic through web searches compared to others who don’t.
Videos create their on SERPs
SERP stands for search engine results page and videos have their own! Have you ever noticed when you are searching on google that it breaks down information into different categories like “All, images, books and videos”? Your videos can come up in the search results for the video page, which has the effect of boosting the overall page SEO. This is an excellent way to get more eyes on your content. Besides, there’s a correlation between higher social media shares and your position on SERPs. So you stand a chance to boost your social presence and increase your organic search results at the same time!
Quick tips to make your SEO more effective
If you’ve made it this far, we hope we’ve convinced you that professionally produced videos are a must have for your site! Even still, there are ways to make sure your SEO efforts aren’t made in vain!
- Add a video transcript - Adding a video transcript puts more information onto the page and allows the bots to pick up the relevant information on your site quickly. We like to use Rev.com as a resource for inexpensively creating transcripts and captions.
- Make the thumbnail engaging - A poorly designed thumbnail will kill the views of your video, even if the video is well produced.
- Pay attention to the description and title - Ideally, the title and description of your video should contain your primary keyword plus other relevant keywords.
- Make the video the focus of the page - Try not to add too many distracting ads or information around the video.
- Make the rest of the information on the page relevant- Any irrelevant information will not only confuse your audience but will hurt your chances of showing up in related searches.
- Don’t embed the same video in multiple places - You may think embedding the video everywhere is a good idea, but it can actually hurt your results. If the video is seen in numerous locations, on your site or others, the SEO impact will be diluted.
- Use Keyword labels - use your main keyword and other relevant keywords to tag your video. This adds another layer of information for the bots to find.
Video Will Improve Your SEO
Professionally produced video content can do wonders for your business. No matter which way you look at it video adds value, even to your site’s SEO! There’s really no reason you shouldn’t add video to your marketing strategy.